Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Back To School Program Volunteer's Briefing

Words by Supreet Kaur Maniktala
Photographs by Sheril A. Bustaman

Yesterday evening, we had an orientation for the Back to School program. Although we expected about 8 volunteers, we were delightfully surprised to see 14 volunteers attend our session! In combination with our previous orientations, we now have nearly 30 volunteers who serve as tutors and role models for our children and caregivers. We would like to thank “Do Something Good” and SOLS 24/7 for helping to bring these tutors. 

Volunteers introducing themselves

Just to provide some background information, the Back to School Program supports children and their caregivers who are infected or affected by HIV/AIDS. Most children have lost a parent to AIDs or come from broken families. With caregivers dealing with poverty (especially single mothers), HIV stigma, loneliness, shame, and anger, children live in stressful environments which hinders their emotional and psychological development. Simply put, they are neglected even by well-intentioned parents and other loved ones.  Our Back to School Program applies a multidimensional approach, aiming to addressing all these issues. The educational component is extremely important since children affected or infected by HIV on average have poorer academic performance in comparison to their peers. 

This is where the need for tutors come in. We provide tutoring almost every Sunday and educational activities during our monthly Saturday events.  Since the introduction of the tuition program, we have grown to about 30 students at the weekly Sunday tuitions, with 10 tutors, which is fantastic! However, our goal is to get 1 tutor for each child so that these children can receive the individualized attention that is desperately needed. For this reason, we had another orientation yesterday for new batch of volunteers. It covered the following topics:

PT Foundation and Its History
HIV 101 and Myths
Clients of Back to School Program and Difficulties they face
Volunteer Expectations
Educational materials that may help volunteers during their tutoring sessions

Explaining what we aim to achieve

Even though all of these topics were important, my favorite part of the orientation was getting to know the clients during the introduction and energizer. Each individual in the group had unique experiences to offer and differing backgrounds, including journalists, lawyers, branch managers, students, etc. For the energizer, we created a circle with one person standing in the middle. He or she would have to make a statement about themselves, and if the statement was true for others, they would also have to move into a different spot of the circle. The person in the middle would also attempt to find a spot in the circle. The last person without a spot had to stand in the center. Similar to the previous round, he/she would be required to make a statement about themselves and everyone would move. As a result of this fun energizer, we bonded and discovered interesting facts about each other. For example, some of our volunteers have done bungy-jumping, and only one person in our group has a cat. 

The icebreaker!

Despite the differences in age, professions, interests, and ethnicities, we all had one thing in common: we valued taking time from our busy lives to give back to community. We also discussed expectations of volunteers and of PT Foundation to ensure that we all worked cohesively as a team. Being in the presence of these passionate people was extremely inspiring. I am excited to see how their loving spirits will influence the lives of our caregivers and children! 

6 comments:

  1. I want to thank Dr Ofemo for helping me get cure of my HERPES SIMPLEX DISEASES, for like 3 yrs Now I have been suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX, but one day as I was surfing through the Internet I met a post about a woman called Lisa who was cured by Dr Ofemo so I decided to give it a try to see if he could save my life Luckily for me I was cured by him. I cannot stop thanking him for what he has done for me if you are into similar problem you can contact on drofemospelltemple@gmail.com is a great herbalist that treats and cure all manner of diseases like Herpes, HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, all types of Cancer, Gonorrhea, and solves life's problems that you might have etc.contact him today and he will help you solved your problem his email via drofemospelltemple@yahoo.com or his web/site: http://drofemospelltemple.wix.com/dr-ofemo or cell number +2348163387496 his web/site http://greatofemospelltemple.webs.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank Dr Ofemo for helping me get cure of my HERPES SIMPLEX DISEASES, for like 3 yrs Now I have been suffering from HERPES SIMPLEX, but one day as I was surfing through the Internet I met a post about a woman called Lisa who was cured by Dr Ofemo so I decided to give it a try to see if he could save my life Luckily for me I was cured by him. I cannot stop thanking him for what he has done for me if you are into similar problem you can contact on drofemospelltemple@gmail.com is a great herbalist that treats and cure all manner of diseases like Herpes, HIV, Cancer, Syphilis, Hepatitis B, all types of Cancer, Gonorrhea, and solves life's problems that you might have etc.contact him today and he will help you solved your problem his email via drofemospelltemple@yahoo.com or his web/site: http://drofemospelltemple.wix.com/dr-ofemo or cell number +2348163387496 his web/site http://greatofemospelltemple.webs.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there are herbal therapies that could totally eradicate this virus from
    the body meanwhile there has been proofs and lots of testimonies to that
    effect. I took my time to investigate one Dr. ezomo on how his herbs
    magically cured my friend craig and his girl friend who contacted this
    embarrassing virus. Please do reach out to Dr. ezomo via his email: drezomospellhome@hotmail.com, phone +2349032744617 Please don't die
    in pains and shame contact him now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone my names are Christina missy , i am here to testify about a great herbal spell caster called Dr Eromosele who helped me cure my HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2014, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. So One day I went on line on the Internet to know more clue about the Herpes Simplex Virus i came across a review of a lady saying that she got her Herpes Simplex Virus cured by A great herbal spell caster Called Dr Eromosele. And she also went as far to drop an email address and including Dr Eromosele telephone number and advise anyone to contact Dr Eromosele for any kind of help. So i gave a try by contacting him through his email and explain my problem to him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished, contact him email: dreromoselespellhome@gmail.com contact him email: dreromoselespellhome@gmail.com phone number +2347038110398

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was married at 32 and immediately tried to get pregnant. When I was unable to conceive I had blood tests for fertility and was told that I had an FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) of 54 and would not be able to have children. Even though the doctors knew that I had been diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis since age 25, no one bothered to check my thyroid levels. my TSH was measured at .001. My Synthroid dosage was lowered. a friend advise me to contact a spiritualist who help with fertility with her medicine, i collected her contact an explain my situation to her she prepared for me a herbal medicine which i took as describe I by her. became pregnant very quickly, I had a successful pregnancy. I have my baby august 2014. to get pregnant at age 35 with my 2nd child in september 2016, thank you mama , this is her email contact if you require her help mallamabuduspiritualhome@gmail.com Or whatsapp them on +2349055637784

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TRUE LIFE TESTIMONY,TRULY GOD IS GREAT.

      HOW I GOT RID OF MY 5 YEARS GENITAL HERPES WITHIN 7 DAYS,GOD IS AWESOME!
      THIS IS REAL,PLEASE DON'T IGNORE.Call/Text me via; +1(203)806-4318

      HIS WEBSITE;https://doctorsambolablog.wordpress.com

      I caught genital herpes from my Ex Husband in 2012,he never told me about the virus. I had it for 5 years with so many outbreak,and it affected my life.. People think herpes is really a minor skin irritation herpes has a long term effects on health. The stigma attached to this virus by ignorant people is ridiculous. Most people have herpes in one form or another,i was first taking Antiviral medicines, such as acyclovir(Zovirax), famciclovir (Famvir), and valacyclovir (Valtrex), are recommended for treating primary genital herpes outbreaks. This medicine can be taken when an outbreak occurs. It can also be taken every day to help prevent outbreaks,it is not a total cure... I will like to tell everyone who is reading this my testimony on how i get rid of my genital herpes.I was reading a comment on the internet,and i saw a testimony posted by a young lady from USA that she got rid of her herpes with the help of Doctor SAMBOLA,a Traditional Herbalist from Africa.So i was so happy when i saw that post,that his herbal medication Cure the virus totally.I quickly copied the herbal doctor email address and i email him within 30 minutes he respond to my mail.I explain things to him he told me not to worry that i should fill his herbal form which i did..The next day he told me that he has prepare the herbal medicine,that i should send him my address that he want to sent his HERBAL MEDICINE to me via DHL or FedEx that was how i got the herbal medication and i use it as i was instructed.After a week i went to see a Medical Doctor who confirmed my herpes was no more.When some of my friend who has herpes saw me they were surprise and i also introduce them to the man and they are also cure from the same Genital herpes today.I also refer my cousin to the same herbalist who was having HIV and today she is fully cure...If you have Genital or Oral herpes or any kind of Diseases and infections,kindly contact HERBALIST SAMBOLA via this email;herbalistsambola@gmail.com OR Doctorsambola@gmail.com

      *He also have a herbal cure for Following DISEASES,this is not scam is 100% Real.

      -HPV
      -DIABETES
      -PENIS ENLARGEMENT AND WEAK ERECTION
      -VIRGINA PROBLEM
      -WHOOPING COUGH
      - HEPATITIS A,B AND C
      -FORDYCE SPOT
      -COLD SORE
      -ALS
      -LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION
      -LOW SPERM COUNT
      -MRSA(METHICILLIN-RESISTANT STAPHYLOCOCCUS AUREUS
      -ZIKA VIRUS
      -COPD
      -STROKE
      -IMPOTENCE
      -PILE
      -HYPERTENSION
      -LOW SPERM COUNT
      -MENOPAUSE DISEASE
      -ASTHMA
      -CANCER
      -BARENESS/INFERTILITY
      -PCOS
      -SHINGLES
      -VIRAL HEPATITIS/HEPATITIS B
      -FIBROID
      -ASTHMA
      -SICKLE CELL
      -TINNITUS
      -BARENESS/INFERTILITY
      -DIARRHEA and so on...

      Contact him today and you will have a testimony..
      GOD IS TRULY GREAT.

      GOOD LUCK

      Delete